Linux Solutions Web Software Domains Web Hosting Mail Accounts
Linux – The operating system alternative !
What is Linux?
Linux also GNU/Linux 1 is a free Unix like 2 operating system with freely available source code to everyone which can be installed on a wide variety of computer hardware (desktop/client and server systems, netbooks and notebooks, energy saving single-board computer, tablet computer, smartphones and mobile phones (as Android-OS, Firefox-OS, Ubuntu, etc.).
In the area of web services and in the server area we create and set up the Linux operating system individually from scratch by using the official sources.
In the end-user and desktop/client area you and your employees can choose among more than 300 different distributions 3 !
What you can expect from Linux solutions provided by GRUBER WEBSERVICES ?
- Predictable costs
10 reasons for switching to Linux:
- Open and freely accessible source code ! – Security must not be an unknown area in your company !
- Fast development through a hugh community full of active experts and enthusiasts !
- You can choose among many different linux distributions and variants ! – Higher motivation of your employees !
- Linux helps saving resources ! – It is better to invest in other areas, rather than buying new hardware just for an upgrade of your operating system!
- Remote maintenance can be performed easily through fast Linux command line over high encrypted remote access !
- In case of hardware change the Linux operating system must not be reinstalled. Only the Linux-Kernel 4 needs to be adjusted to the new hardware !
- Linux systems emphazise on having good performance !
- The modular design of Linux allows you to use Linux for small and very secure server systems with high performance !
- There are a number of free and commercial software packages available !
- It works !!!
10 reasons to use Linux From Scratch (Abkz. LFS):
- Customized distribution according to your needs ! – Your own rules ! – High security !
- Immediate implementation of security updates ! – There is no need to wait for updated software packages from the distribution suppliers !
- High performance ! – Even when using old hardware ! – Programs and services which are not needed do not waste resources like processing power, memory etc. !
- Complete control over the entire system ! – From scratch !
- Better overview due to a very small operating system ! – We install only services and packages that you really need ! – Minimization of potential security vulnerabilities !
- We use official source packages and do not use unreadable binary packages which are not safe !
- High optimization and customization potential of hardware (processor / architecture) and software packages (Linux-kernel / libraries / programs) ! – All parts of the operating system can be adapted and changed ! – Using the full potential of hardware and software !
- Runs satisfactorily on old hardware ! – Already discarded servers and desktop computers can be reused ! – It is a contribution to the conservation of the world resources !
- Can be installed with minimum space requirements even with very little hard disk space (100 MB or even 5 MB) !
- The installation and system transfer, or even the whole compiling process of the systems for your company can be performed online !
1 Linux means in a technically correct way the kernel (Linux kernel) of the complete operating system GNU/Linux. The GNU project (abbr. GNU is NOT Unix) describes a complete Unix-like operating system environment (without kernel) which couldn´t work without the Linux kernel. In common slang Linux means GNU/Linux.
2 Unix is a collective term for operating systems that have been developed in the seventies.
3 A Linux distribution is a collection of software applications including the Linux-kernel 4 in order to build a complete operating system (e.g, GNU/Linux 2).
4 The Linux kernel is a central component of each GNU/Linux distribution. The kernel provides an interface between hardware and software. The Linux kernel governs process management, multitasking, memory management and much more.